Wednesday, April 25, 2012

A Pocket Tutorial


So I’m designing a class for Paper Niche that I’ll be teaching in June. Can’t show you the project yet but I CAN show you one of the elements that I’ll be teaching in it.  I was almost finished with the project but the inside front cover still needed something.
 Hummmm……. Love those pockets from Maya Road.  Several seasons old. I’ll never be able to order them for the class. What to do…….

Create my own!  On the right is the Maya Road Envelope. On the left, the one I created.  Here’s how I did it.

Creating a 4 x 2.75” Envelope:

Cut one 2 ¾” scalloped circle and two  ¾” plain circles from Spellbinders Nestabilities.
Cut cardstock to 6 ¼” x 4 ½”. 
Score at the ½” mark along one of the long edges
Rotate 90 degrees and score at 1 1/8” and 4”.
Cut along ½” score line into the intersecting score lines. Angle the cut into the flap.
It should look like this:

Burnish folds.
Fold Scalloped circle in half.
Set islets on scalloped circle and on body of the pocket, centering.
Glue pocket body together.
Glue scalloped circle to top creating flap.
Tie baker's twine or waxed thread under the flap islet.

Love it! Change out the top circle that I used as a flap and the possibilities are endless.  Gotta go raid my Nestabilities for other options.  Hope you like it and are inspired to go try something. You never know where the inspiration will come from.


No comments:

Post a Comment